East Fork Carson River: Hangman's Run
- Don’t miss this run during this 2023 High Water Year!
- Natural Geothermal Hot Springs and High Desert Landscape
- Historic Wild West history
- No experience necessary
- Everyone paddles
- True wilderness experience
- Perfect for beginners and families
About the Trip Full Day Class 2 Excitement + HOT SPRINGS
In 1988 , The East Fork of the Carson River was designated a CA Wild & Scenic River due to the remarkable scenery. The Carson offers a true wilderness experience as one of three naturally flowing rivers in the Eastern Sierra.
Situated close to South Lake Tahoe, this river makes for the perfect full day trip (21 miles with a stop at natural hot springs for lunch).
We start in Alpine County, the least populated county in California, with Class II meandering bends and snow capped peaks in the distance. The East Fork Carson River is an exciting introduction to Whitewater Rafting. At mile 9, we’ll stop for lunch at natural hot springs next to the river. The remaining river miles offer incredible high desert landscapes full of jagged rock cliffs, wildlife, and big sky.
After booking, check your confirmation email which has comprehensive trip information.
- We will see you at 101 Old Pony Express Way, Markleeville, CA 96120.
- Hop on our Tahoe Whitewater Shuttle Bus for 20 minute drive to the river.
- Gear Up & Safety Talk! You’ll be issued a Personal Flotation Device, Paddle, Helmet (wetsuits, splash jackets, and fleece optional). Everyone participates in our Safety Talk to discuss river hazards and safety protocols.
- Meet your guide!
- Enjoy the river! You'll be on the river all day. We provide a gourmet lunch.
- We'll shuttle you back to your vehicles (30 minute drive).
Everyone! We welcome ages 7+ and all abilities.
This trip is great for families, friends, big groups, and all adventure levels.
Everyone is expected to paddle and should be in good physical shape (250 lb weight limit).
Do I need to know how to swim?
It is recommended but not mandatory. We provide a helmet and a Type V personal flotation device.
What do I need to wear?
We have packing lists for you to review for each of our different trips.
It’s my first time rafting, do I need experience?
No experience necessary - this trip is great for first timers and whitewater veterans alike. Feel free to call us with any concerns or questions about appropriate trips for your group.
April - June
- Helmet, Paddle, Personal Flotation Device (aka PFD or lifejacket)
- If needed: splash jackets, wetsuits, fleece
- Professional River Guide in each raft
- Gourmet Riverside Lunch
- Shuttle to and from our office/parking area
Our guides are the best in the business, prioritizing safety and guest experience. They love what they do and it shows through their passion for the area's history, geology and ecology. With experience on rivers around the globe, we know you'll enjoy your guide as much as we do.
Tahoe Whitewater's owner, Mike Miltner, pioneered commercial whitewater rafting on the Truckee River in the 1980's and 90's when government ordinances prohibited whitewater rafting on the Truckee. Mike fell in love with the Truckee River and began battling local, state, and federal opposition. Successful in his mission to share the Truckee, Mike paved the way for people to experience the beauty and adventure the Truckee River has to offer. And over 30 years now, Tahoe Whitewater has been sharing our love, experience, and knowledge of the area with guests.
7-9 passengers per boat plus a river guide. No matter your group size, we'll break you up into the appropriate number of rafts.
Check you confirmation email for details.
- Public Restrooms
- Leave Valuables at Home
- Leave Keys with our Office Staff
What to Expect
After Making a Reservation
After your booking is complete, a confirmation email will be sent including a summary of your group size, date, river section, meeting time and location.
Online Waivers will be provided in your confirmation email. ALL participants must fill out waivers prior to the trip. Please fill these out before arriving.
Other Rafting Adventures
More Exciting Class III Trips