Truckee River: Boca - Floriston
- AVAILABLE MID JULY due to high water. Click here to see the Verdi – Mayberry Section of the Truckee River which is running currently
- Our most popular trip
- Great for groups
- Photo Package Available
- No experience necessary
- Progressive Class II rapids culminate in an exciting Class III finish
- Lots of beautiful swimming opportunities
- Abundant history and wildlife
- See a mix of California’s High Sierra and High Desert scenery
On this page:
About the Trip Half Day Class 3 Excitement
Today, as far as river trips go, the Boca- Floriston Run on the Truckee River has everything a first time rafter as well as a seasoned rafter could want! Containing technical intermediate rapids, relaxing pools to swim in, and beautiful Tahoe National Forest scenery, the Truckee has it all. Being the first company to run commercially guided trips down the Truckee, our experience on it is unmatched! This half day tour begins at the historical townsite of Boca, now home to Boca Reservoir. The run starts off easy with slow moving water through boulder gardens creating a perfect setting to introduce first time rafters to the river. Following that are long flat swimming areas perfect to cool off in on a hot summers day. The rapids continue to build towards an exhilarating finish in the Floriston Gorge. For those who are looking for a great introduction to whitewater join us for an amazing day on our most popular run. You’ll find it’s the perfect adventure for everyone in your group!
After booking, check your confirmation email which has all trip information.
- We will see you at 10068 Hirschdale Rd, Truckee, CA 96161. Morning Trip 9:00 AM, Afternoon Trip: 1:00 PM.
- Park, check in, fill out any outstanding waivers, use the restroom, etc. Leave valuables at home and and personal items in your vehicles. Car keys can be left with our office staff or in your seat on our shuttle bus while you’re on the river.
- Hop on our Tahoe Whitewater Shuttle Bus for a 2 minute drive to the river.
- Gear Up & Safety Talk! You’ll be issued a Personal Flotation Device, Paddle, and Helmet (and wetsuits, splash jackets, and fleece during spring). Everyone will participate in our Safety Talk to discuss river hazards and safety protocols.
- Meet your guide! Your guide will chat about paddling and give instructions as you hop in your raft and start the tour.
- Enjoy the river! You'll be on the river for about 2 hours.
- We'll shuttle you back to our office (10 minute drive).
Everyone! We welcome ages 7+ and all abilities.
This trip is great for families, friends, big groups, and all adventure levels.
Do I need to know how to swim?
It is recommended but not mandatory. We provide a helmet and a Type V, US Coast Guard approved personal flotation device.
What do I need to wear?
Click here to see What to Bring.
It’s my first time rafting, do I need experience?
No experience necessary! Feel free to call us with any concerns or questions about appropriate trips for your group.
2 TRIPS, EVERY DAY
May - September, flow depending
- Helmet, Paddle, Personal Flotation Device (aka PFD or lifejacket)
- If needed: splash jackets, wetsuits, fleece
- Professional River Guide in each raft
- Professional Photographer
- Shuttle to and from our office/parking area
Our guides are the best in the business, prioritizing safety and guest experience. They love what they do and it shows through their passion for the area's history, geology and ecology. With experience on rivers around the globe, we know you'll enjoy your guide as much as we do.
Tahoe Whitewater's owner, Mike Miltner, pioneered commercial whitewater rafting on the Truckee River in the 1980's and 90's when government ordinances prohibited whitewater rafting on the Truckee. Mike fell in love with the Truckee River and began battling local, state, and federal opposition. Successful in his mission to share the Truckee, Mike paved the way for people to experience the beauty and adventure the Truckee River has to offer. And over 30 years now, Tahoe Whitewater has been sharing our love, experience, and knowledge of the area with guests.
On the Truckee River our rafts can take 4-6 guests + a guide. No matter your group size, we'll break you up into the appropriate number of rafts.
We use 13' rafts.
10068 Hirschdale Rd, Truckee, CA 96161
Check In Times:
AM Trip 8:45
PM Trip 1:00
Our office is located in the Truckee River RV Park / Gas Station right off of Highway 80. Follow signs to our Tahoe Whitewater Parking Area.
You’ll leave your vehicles for the day and hop into our Tahoe Whitewater shuttle bus with Yellow River Rafts on the roof. This location has public restrooms and changing rooms to use prior to a 2 minute drive down to the river. We’ve never had an issue in the parking lots, but we recommend leaving valuables at home. You may leave small personal items in your seat in our shuttle bus for the duration of your rafting tour. After booking, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a “Trip Details” PDF attachment with all important info, packing lists, etc.
What to Expect From Booking to Rafting the Truckee River Boca - Floriston
After Making a Reservation
After your booking is complete, a confirmation email will be sent including a summary of your group size, date, river section, meeting time and location.
Online Waivers will be provided in your confirmation email. ALL participants must fill out waivers prior to the trip. Please fill these out before arriving.
On the River
We begin rafting near the historical Boca Townsite. Technical rapids progress in difficulty throughout the 7 mile section, helping you learn the ropes of paddling and whitewater rafting. Some of our favorite Class II characteristics include the splashiness of “Airplane,” the technicality of “Dance Floor.”
Near the end of the tour, we have three Class III rapids back to back to back! Get ready for a wet and wild ride, full of fast moves, splashes, and smiles. Our Photographer, Chris, will capture your smiles at “Jaws,” the biggest drop on the river.
This run is perfect for just about anyone thanks to its:
- technical Class II and III rapids
- progressive high sierra t0 high desert landscape
- ample swimming opportunities
- cultural history
The Truckee River Boca – Floriston Run is our most popular tour and we can’t get enough of this high quality California summer experience. Keep an eye out for deer, ducks and even bears and bald eagles! Join us for the best day of your summer whitewater rafting on the Truckee River.
Other Rafting Adventures
More Exciting Class IV Trips
Truckee River: Boca to Verdi
Highlights: Only Available In High Water Years (2023!), Closest Full Day Trip to Reno / North Tahoe, Continuous Whitewater, Incredible Wilderness, Gourmet River Lunch
North Fork American River: Chamberlain Falls
Advanced Class IV
Highlights: Best Class IV Rafting in Northern CA, Crystal Clear Water, Steep Jungle Gorge, Easily Accessible from Tahoe, Sacramento, and the Bay Area